Sunday, February 2, 2014

Update on LASIK: The Test


Hello everyone, Happy Chinese New Year!
The days where the size of my waist and tummy would increase thanks to all the delicious delicacies and snacks that we all failed to resist! Once a year mah, eat while you can! #goodfoodisgoodfortummy


I know it's been few days since my eye test for my upcoming LASIK surgery, to my fellow readers who have been keeping tab to get futher updates, sorry for the delay. Been busy cleaning the house and preparing for Chinese New Year like an excited child.


~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Regarding my eye test..
Firstly, you will need to lay off contact lenses for at least a week before proceeding with the test. They started with checking my eye sight power using the machine like how your normal optician would do when checking your power. Once completed, they used the machine to shoot some air into your eyes. This is to check on your eye pressure and it's definitely not pleasant. I literally jumped everytime they do that even though I was prepared. Can't imagine how funny I looked to others.

Then, they used another machine to check my corneal thickness. As mentioned in my previous post, you'll need sufficient thickness to go for the surgery (read more here). They'll strap your head to it and ask you to open your eyes big big and stare at the red light dot. Then no blinking or moving while a series of lights scanned through your eye. Feels a little like putting your eyeball on a photocopy machine. After that, there was another machine but I wasn't sure what was it for.

Next, she placed two thin strips of paper under both eyeballs and asked me to close my eyes and rest for 5 minutes. This is to test the level of moisture in your eyes to see if you have dry eye problem. You will feel minor discomfort because there's paper poking your eyeballs but it's bearable, nothing big. As for me, my eyes are a little dry, will be needing lots of eye drops after the surgery.

Moving on, the interesting part.. You know how you have to put on those hideous glasses which the opticians used to manually check your eye sight?



These are one of my worst nightmares! Especially after they are done changing in and out pieces after pieces of glass lenses, they'll ask you to go outside and walk around for a bit to see if your eyes can adapt to the new power. I can safely say that no one, NO ONE would ever look hot in these! Lucky for me, VISTA has this machine where you just put your face there and the rest is just clicks away.




It probably looked something like this. I would definitely go for this cyborg look anytime rather than those hideous glasses. After a good 10-15 minutes, it's done. Next, she used a 'Pupillometer', something that looks like a hair dryer to check on the size of your pupils. Apparently mine are bigger than those of average people, so I might have glare/halo problems but the eyes might also get adapted to it. We then proceeded to some eye drops used to dilate the pupils. She dropped from 3 different bottles and let me rest for 30 minutes in order for them to work their magic.

Afterwards, back into the room to check the eye sight using the cyborg machine again. This time, I have difficulties in reading the letters as my vision was quite blurry. Apparently they dilate your pupils to make your eyes focus more when reading to get a more accurate result. Later, it was time to consult the doctor. He just briefly go through again on what is LASIK, what are my results of the tests, what I might need to take note of after the surgery and some minor details, nothing much actually.

The last was a quick briefing by the optician of the dos-and-don'ts before and after the surgery. She was so nice to explain one by one even though I could read them on my own. Putting on the spectacles and trying to read while your pupils are still dilated is no fun. I suddenly felt like an old woman with farsightedness as the words are so blur. I have to take them off and hold the paper up close to my face to read it. Total blind bat moment! The effect would last for about 5-6 hours depending on individual. So, DO NOT drive after the test, get someone to pick you up.

Total payment of the test?
RM 98



Hope this post helps you in understanding part of the procedures better!
Time for some sleep!

Much loves, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong (Part 2): Dim Sum and Ocean Park

Oh boy, there goes my procrastination and half a year has passed since I made up my mind to comeback to the world of blogging. Many things ...