Tuesday, February 11, 2014

LASIK: Post-surgery Care

Hey all, I know some of you has been asking me how much did I spend on my recent LASIK surgery, so I scanned a picture of the flyer that I gotten from VISTA.




The one I did was iLASIK2 and the price above is for the procedure, not inclusive of the pre-surgery eye test. As mentioned in my first blog post on LASIK, VISTA is not doing the Aspheric lasik anymore as they do not have the machine here. You would have to travel to JB if you are keen for it as that's the only branch with the machine available.

And of course, the famous question..
"IS IT PAINFUL?"

Answer: NO.
It's not painful at all, just slight discomfort here and there as they put on the suction piece and also the metal eye opener piece, other than that, it's all good. Except the 5-6 hours stinging sensation after the procedure but it's bearable, just a little like shampoo entered your eyes. Of course, you can read all about my experience on the surgery day here.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~


Now, back to my post's title, Post-Surgery Care for LASIK.
I would like to share some tips and dos-and-don'ts from my experience.

1. Do drop the eye drops on time and per prescribed by the nurse as it is crucial for the recovery of the cornea flap.

2. Wear your sunvisor at all time when there's bright light or else you might suffer a headache afterwards.

3. If you are using a shower head, do consider wearing your sunvisor when taking your shower. I am personally doing this everyday. You might think this is funny, wearing sunvisor in the showers but after your shower, check the surface and you'll notice how much tap water would have been in your eyes if you didn't protect them.

4. Some said not to wash your face and hair for a week. Eww! Definitely a NO-NO for me! My tips for both..
     Face: Gently pat water on your face, avoiding the eye areas. Bubble up your facial wash on your palm and slowly apply them on your face, again avoiding eye areas. You may want to do this in front of a mirror as it'll be easier. Then, wet a piece of cotton and slowly clean off the facial wash. As for the eyes, wet a piece of cotton and dab gently to clean. You might find some sticky residue when you are cleaning, these are from the dried up eye drops. Just gently dab on them to clean.

     Hair: I used a water pipe connecting to the tap instead of the shower head as the water spray from the shower head is wider and therefore higher chance of getting tap water into your eyes. Control the level of water flow and tilt your head to the back to slowly wet the hair. I find tilting back is much easier and cleaner than tilting forwards plus it can reduce the strangles. 

5. Wear the pair of transparent eye shields to sleep! They are really useful for people like me who loves to sleep sideways. If you love sleeping face up, do still wear them as it can protect you from rubbing or scratching them while you are in Dreamland.

6. NO MAKEUP. No eye shadow for a week and no eyeliner + mascara for a month.
7. Go for your follow-up checkups; 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and 12 months after the procedure.


I guess those are some of the tips I can think of for now. Shall update if I can think of any.
Hope it helps! (:


Much loves, xoxo.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hahaa! It's just extra care steps :D

      Delete
    2. Great post =) Enquiry on post lasik care, once you have completed and stop using the medicated eye drops(as prescribed by eye doc), do you continue to use the lubricant eye drops till date? And another enquiry is, what do you do if encounter with uncomfortable situation like itchy eyes after few months of lasik, you will apply lubricant eye drops(systane ultra) to cure eyes?
      Sorry for the long questions and appreciate your reply. =1

      Delete
    3. Hey Cindy, glad you've enjoyed reading this post. Well, for the lubricant eye drops, there's no specific period where you should stop or continue using it. It's pretty much dependable on individual. As my eyes tend to dry up easily, I continued using that for about 3 months or so after stopping the medicated eye drops, especially when I'm attending classes (air-conditioned environment) or when it's hazy outside. And yes, it's recommended for you to use the natural tear drops to ease the itch instead of rubbing your eyes to avoid interrupting the recovery process of your cornea. Also, you might want to take Omega 3 fish oil to help with the recovery, it also helps with dry eyes.

      I hope this reply answers your inquiry, do feel free to let me know if you want to know anything else. Hope this helps, good luck! (:

      Delete
    4. I see =D Meaning now you are not using any eye drops then? HORAAY!!
      Another enquiry, whar if.....encounter with uncomfortable situation after the 1 month follow up...whereby lubricant eye drops can't help to ease the itch or eye redness(might be due to sick)...do you use normal antibiotics eye drops purchase from clinics or go consult the Vista doctor? =)
      Sorry for the long questions and appreciate your reply. =1

      Delete
    5. Yup, not using any for now but taking fish oil as supplement (:

      I would advise to consult the doctor as you won't know what caused it, don't want to risk your eyes right? ;) Plus, you are their client and they have done the test on your eyes prior to surgery, so they are the ones who would know the condition best.

      Delete
  2. How long did you need to take these precautions for? Or is it a permanent thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them are for a week after surgery. As for the eye drops, depending on individuals and their recovery (:

      Delete
    2. That's not too bad then. Lasik is definitely on my To-Do list! Thanks for the extremely informative post!

      Delete
    3. No problem, glad that it helps! (: Updated with another 2 tips! ;) Best of luck!

      Delete
  3. Hi.. just sharing. Hope can benefit others.I did my lasik in Excelview midvalley Kuala Lumpur. But the vision is fuzzy and not clear with haloes. Night vision is badly affected n the world is just not as bwutiful as before the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. Yaldo Eye Center

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work Michigan Laser Eye Surgery

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. lasik eye surgery lansing mi

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tips and information..i really appreciate it.. Yaldo Eye Center Toledo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did you write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make the most of mainly premium substances - you will find him or her for: How much is vigRX Plus?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have great article. Your content is really informative and helpful for me. I think take care our vision is very important, so we must keep our eye's still healthy. I want to do lasik to next month, i hope everything is going fine. Thank you so much for your information. visusoogkliniek.nl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article. My grandmother had surgery for cataract. In my opinion, surgery have a lots of benefit than risk. That treatment very helpful for people who have a vision problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I’ll give you a link to my site apk mod

    ReplyDelete
  13. Informative Blog. Thanks for sharing this useful information with us. You can read more valuable information about Lasik treatment on my page Lasik Eye Surgery in Punjab.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contoura Vision Surgery is one of the most reputed advanced eye health and vision care facility in Delhi NCR. Call Us at +91-935-416-1610 today to schedule your consultation!

    ReplyDelete

Hong Kong (Part 2): Dim Sum and Ocean Park

Oh boy, there goes my procrastination and half a year has passed since I made up my mind to comeback to the world of blogging. Many things ...